Gluten free banana bread
July 12, 2012
So I am have been eating gluten free for almost 6 years now and am always on the look out for yummy gluten free recipes that don’t just replace white flower with rice flower. It doesn’t taste as good and doesn’t really add a better nutritional value. “Not worth the calories” as my mother would say. Cue the whole Paleo craze. The whole concept it to eat like a caveman basically, no grains, lots of meat, fruits and veggies. Back when I found out I had Celiac, IBS and basically a very sensitive stomach I guess I started to eat that way without knowing it. Now I am in no way a hard core Paleo eater, but I do like trying out some recipes. I made this Banana bread the other day, which basically consists of almond flour, coconut flour and bananas…and it is yummy! It is perfect for my busy morning breakfast.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 small loaf pans (5 3/4 x 3 1/2).
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour wet into dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Divide evenly (dough will be thick) into loaf pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Remove loaves from oven, let cool in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.